You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Forum für Postgeschichte und Markenfreu(n)de. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, May 27th 2018, 1:38pm

Hi Ralph,

Yes indeed, very fascinating. There is always a way people can reach related family members or friends or even for business. Even under hard conditions, postal systems never failed.

Like this modern example. 52 cents inland rate. 51 cents under paid! :)

Sylvain
Hornet785 has attached the following image:
  • Canada cover inland. Blyth, Ont to Ottawa 2008. 52 cents rate 51 cents under paid.jpg

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Hornet785" (May 27th 2018, 1:49pm)

Rainer

Experte

Occupation: My Job is so secret, even I do not know what I do...

Tuesday, October 16th 2018, 12:24pm

I got 2 1929/30 covers from Canada to Iraq, most likely, due to the short transit time, carried though the Syro-Iraqi desert. The more interesting one, because it was short-paid in Canada, subject to Postage due in Iraq, refused in Iraq and returned to Canada where it was again subject to postage due is here:

The cover was mailed from Kentville, 10 March 1930. Baghdad arrival 29 March 1930 and is franked with 2 cents, 8 cents would have been required, which makes the letter 6 cents short-paid. The letter was refused by the addressee and 2 cent collect to the original sender. The T40 shows that it was a 8 cent UPU letter rate.
12 cents double deficiency converted to UPU ctms at the rate of 40 UPU ctms = 8 cents UPU letter rate, i.e. 5 UPU ctms = 1 cent.
I have been informed that Canada used this conversion rate with a tax reduction factor of 5/8 to align the taxation to the UPU standard of 25 UPU ctms = UPU letter rate.
12 cent => 60 UPU ctms.
60 UPU ctms * 5/8 = 37.5 which was rounded up to 40 (UPU ctms, hence the T/40 due marking. As the letter was refused and returned, the 2 cent Due Marking is paying the 2 cents postage due or fee.

The second cover i got is a single franking of 8 cents, the correct rate for a cover at that time to Iraq, mailed from Hawkesbury, 25 July 1929, arrival in Basrah 9 August 1929.

Overland Mail surcharge had been abolished at the time when the covers where mailed.
Rainer has attached the following images:
  • Canada_1930_2_Cents_Postage-Due_Front.jpg
  • Canada_1930_2_Cents_Postage-Due_Reverse.jpg
  • Canada_1929_8_Cents_Front.jpg
  • Canada_1929_8_Cents_Reverse.jpg

Friday, October 19th 2018, 10:34pm

Hallo Rainer,

They are very nice indeed! :thumbsup:

On July 1st 1930, the rate was reduced to 5 cents. Both cover are showing stamps from the so called "SCROLL" issue. 2 cents is Nr.150 and 8 cents is Nr.154 under our UNITRADE Cat using Scott Numbering System. It is one of the most beautiful issue (My opinion :))

Sylvain