• Hallo,

Here a cover sent from Australia to Canada. Looks to have been re-used inland.

Porto inland Canada was 8 cents for the first once from jan 1 1972 to sept 1 1976. This one went through the mail on 22-12-1974.

You can see the sender has the same name as the receiver. So I am pretty sure this cover arrived in Mississauga.

I 'm not a member of any other forum but two in Germany.

May be a chance that somebody has the rate from Australia to North America/ Canada?

Thank you

Sylvain

• Hallo Sylvain,

in the year 1974 just 11 cents to north-america (zone 4) ? Not easy, not easy, perhaps you`ll find something helpful here...

http://www.torstenweller.com/Australian%20D…eas_airmail.pdf

http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?…b80079&start=50

...and just for the sake of completeness: can it be, that there is an australian stamp under the canadian one ?

Gruß !

Tim

Wer um Postgeschichte einen Bogen macht, läuft am Schluss im Kreis

• Hallo Sylvain.

ok, but I wonder why the australian post in Liverpool N.S.W. - a suburb and major centre in the metropolitan area of Sydney - allowed shipment to canada with just 11 cents. Because of the fact there`s no air-mail-note on the cover: can it be, that there was another transport-possibility - for example via ship - for a lower price, but longer transport-time ? ;(

The date of the mark of Sydney is 1974-10-16 - 2pm (see attached file).

+ Gruß !

Tim :thumbup:

• Hi Sylvain,

It could be a surface mail, not an airmail letter. The shipment was longer but also cheaper. In the same period I've seen a surface letter from Australia to Scotland (Zone 5) with a 15 c postage instead of 35 c for airmail.

This could explain the long time this letter took to find its adressee. Dropped off in Sydney on October 16th, 1974 and dropped off again in Toronto on December 22nd to be forwarded to ist adressee.
    I guess this letter was first sent to Willowdale, Caldy Court for Mr and Mrs Fraser. But obvioulsy they didn't live there anymore. The letter was forwarded to G S Spiers who accepted it. He (or she) franked the letter again in dropped it off in Toronto to Willowdale Bayview ave.

Emmanuel.

• ...aaa+++ :thumbup:

...and finally for the sake of perfection we can see with help of the roll-mark on the backside of the cover: It wasn`t closed, so it was a printed matter or a greeting card inside with the lower price of 11 cents for surface-shipment.

great teamwork togehter with vals59 !

• Hallo,

Here a lovely find I did two years ago in an antique show in my small town (nothing to do with stamps or covers what so ever) So I was looking in those huge postal cards boxes and found this beauty.

Inland rate for the period for such postcard was 1 cent. So here a lovely use of a 1 cent U.S. stamp with a Canadian 1 cent Admiral dated from 1914 from Niagara Falls, ON to Allensville, ON. (both in the province of ONTARIO)

The useless U.S. stamp went through the machine for cancellation, by hand it shouldn't have been cancelled.

Niagara Falls is a border town with the U.S., Allensville is at +/- 300 Km.

Best regards

Sylvain

• Hallo Sylvain,

nice one, can you show the backside ? :P

Inland rate for the period for such postcard was 1 cent.

A simple question to this: When at all was the beginnig of the postcard-fee in Canada ? :whistling:

+ Gruß !

Tim

• Hallo Tim,

For the question, it's around 1871 and I think we were the first outside of Europe to have cards rate.

For the other side...once back home I'll put a picture of the other side.

Friendly regards

Sylvain

• Liebe Kollegen,
    folgender Brief aus der bekannten Goering-Korrespondenz nach Hamilton/Canada gibt mir Rätsel auf:
    Aus Edenkoben 20.11.1876, rückseits Durchgangsstempel Doppel-Einkreis New York Paid All 7.12.,
    Ankunftsstempel Hamilton 9.12.76.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/29868955/Goering.jpg
    Lt. VO 14028 v. 4.10.1875 betrug die Taxe für frankierte Briefe nach Canada 14 Kr. = 40 Pfg. pro Loth/15 g.
    Am 1.7.1876 wurde im WPV der B-Tarif für Überseeländer eingeführt: 40 Pfg. pro 15 g
    Lt. VO Nr. 3863 v. 23.3.1877 Senkung des Francos auf 20 Pfg.
    1.7.78 Beitritt Canadas zum WPV.
    Warum kostete der Brief nur 20 Pfg. ??
    Schönen Sonntag wünscht die

weite Welle

• Liebe weite Welle,

ist denn das Datum von 1876 gesichert? Wenn er aus 1877 wäre, wäre doch alles klar.

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Lieber Ralph,
    ja, wenn's so einfach wäre. Das Datum ist sicher, sehr klarer AK-Stempel mit Jahr, dazu voller Inhalt mit klarem Datum.
    Aber, um das Rätsel noch interessanter zu machen, hier ein weiterer Beleg aus 1876 mit gleicher Frankatur, der aber
    als unterfrankiert gewertet und mit entsprechender Nachtaxe versehen wurde.
    Der Beleg, der nicht in meinem Besitz ist, wurde von HOS in einem älteren Rundbrief besprochen.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://www2.pic-upload.de/img/29874008/HOS.jpg]

weite Welle

• Lieber Franz,

aber der hier hatte einen ganz anderen Laufweg, als deiner, von daher dürften hier unterschiedliche Verträge vorliegen, oder irre ich mich da? Die Taxen nach Übersee waren ja prinzipiell immer laufwegsorientiert hinsichtlich ihrer Gebühren - vlt. hat es doch noch eine Rolle gespielt?

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.

• Lieber Ralph,
    in VO 12752 v. 26.9.71 wird noch unterschieden zwischen Laufweg Köln-Ostende-England (11 Kr. bis amerik./canad.Grenze +
    2 Sgr. Weiterfranko) und Laufweg über Bremen od. Hamburg (9 Kr. + 1 2/3 Sgr. Wfr.).
    In VO 14028 v. 4.10.75 heißt es dann nur noch "frankierte Briefe nach Canada kosten weiterhin 40 Pfg.". Also gehe ich davon aus,
    dass der Laufweg keine Rolle mehr spielte, was vermutlich damit zusammenhängt, dass die Vereinigten Staaten bereits zum
    1.7.75 Gründungsmitglied des WPV wurden und damit eben Briefe im Transit nach Canada das gleiche kosteten wie solche in
    die Staaten selbst. Allerdings wäre da noch die Frage eines Weiterfrankos ab kanadischer Grenze. Wären das die auf 40 fehlenden
    20 Pfg. (= 2 Sgr.) ? Das passt aber dann nicht zu den 1 2/3 Sgr. Wfr. von 1871. Oder wurde das einfach aufgerundet ? Und wo
    ist dann auf dem Brief das Wfr. ersichtlich ? Keine canadische Marke, kein Taxstempel wie beim Brief von HOS ! Und in
    Konsequenz: warum wurde dieser Brief anders behandelt, wenn doch der Laufweg egal war ?
    Bei dieser Gelegenheit die Frage nach Briefen nach USA oder Canada aus dem Zeitraum 1.7.-31.12.75. Gibt es welche, und,
    wenn ja, wie waren sie frankiert ?

weite Welle

• Liebe weite Welle,

vielen Fragen für einen armen Kreuzersammler.

1 2/3 Sgr. konnten schon auf 20 Pfg. gerundet werden. Man hat ja gerne mal ein bisschen mehr genonmmen, wenn es halbwegs passte.

Das Weiterfranko wurde schon in der Kreuzerzeit nicht immer notiert - stand ja summarisch in der Briefkarte, das war viel wichtiger.

Wenn ich nicht irre, habe ich mal einen 10x Brief nach Hamilton gesehen. Aber 5 kg Katze lassen ein nachschauen nicht wirklich zu ...

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

• Hallo,

Went to a collector's show today. I found something that I was looking for since a long time.

It is called ''Blackout cancels'' used during WWII. I found three cards having these cancels in the same box. :)

Here a nice article about them. Page 262. https://www.rpsc.org/CP_scans/Canad…20No.%20269.pdf

These are from Québec city with bilingual slogan machine cancels.

They are scarce cancels for the period and used only in Port cities East and West Coast.

Best regards

Sylvain

• Hallo Pälzer,

für einen Euro? 8o

Da hat sich die Suche auf alle Fälle gelohnt, denn aus Kanada gibt es nicht viel Post nach Bayern, in die Pfalz schon mal gar nicht und so attraktiv findet man kaum etwas und wenn, dann nur zu anderen Preisen. Glückwunsch zu dem Schmankerl an die bekannte Adresse in Ludwigshafen. :P:P

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph