• Hello all,

This one does not have the 24-cent stamp that I favor. But, it is a properly paid double weight letter for the 15 cent per quarter ounce rate (7.5 grams) established by the 1857 convention between the US and France. The letter was carried by the Cunard Line. Since it was a British contract ship, 24 cents of the 30 cents in postage were passed to France. France then compensated the British for the trans-Atlantic sailing and the transit through the UK and across the Channel.

Best to all!

Rob

• Hello all!

Here is a letter that was first sent to Paris as a double weight letter (two times the 15 cents per 1/4 ounce rate). It was then forwarded by the US Legation in Paris to London.

I would like to get some opinions regarding where the amounts were paid for the forwarding of this letter. The markings that concern me are the "2" in pen, the word "Paid" in pen at bottom left, and the scribble at top right.

The P.D. in box is a bit larger than those typically seen on items where France is the ultimate destination from the US. This larger size is more commonly seen on items in the 1860s that go from the US and through France on its way to places such as Italy or Switzerland. But, still the marking is not entirely out of place. But it may be a clue.

The postage rate from France to England was 40 centimes per 7.5 grams - or 4 pence per 1/4 ounce going the other way.

I believe the "paid" in pen was written by the sender of this letter and has nothing to do with the forwarding - but someone with a different idea could change my mind.

Option 1: The US Legation in Paris sent the letter to London unpaid. The British marked the letter with "More to Pay." But, if it was completely unpaid it should have been due 8d. Instead, I find a "2" and a squiggle that doesn't remind me of any particular accountancy marking at top right. In this case, the "2" could refer to a double rate, I suppose. But, I am not entirely comfortable with that.

Option 2: The US Legation in Paris sent the letter part paid. Hence the "More to Pay." But, I am at a loss as to how they communicated the amount paid unless that's the purpose of the "2." If that was applied by the French post office to indicate to the British more was due. Even so, why would the US Legation opt to short pay in this fashion? I could see them sending at a single rate because 7.5 grams is more than 1/4 ounce. But to miss by 2d (20 centimes) is odd.

I would appreciate any thoughts people might have. Or - if someone has examples with some similar situation, I might appreciate that as well.

Best,

Rob

• Hello Rob

"paid" was written by the sender in the US.

Could "2" mean 2 shillings? Maybe the lads in Paris packed something more in the letter, before they posted it to London?

Or was it possible that the British post clerk saw it as an American letter via France to the UK with a shortage of postage paid? If so, it could have been only 2 pence "more to pay".

Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

"Der beste Platz für Politiker ist das Wahlplakat. Dort ist er tragbar, geräuschlos und leicht zu entfernen." Vicco von Bülow aka Loriot.