You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Forum für Postgeschichte und Markenfreu(n)de. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

The forums are currently offline for the following reason(s):

Aktualisierung der Foren-Software wird durchgeführt.

robfaux

Experte

Saturday, April 14th 2018, 11:26pm

Hello Rob,

It seems that the question to your double rate letter above - regarding the "8 schillinge overland credit" - is not yet answered:

You probably mean the blue "8" which is not Schillinge but Silbergroschen in my opinion. It includes the german and swiss transit.

Regards,
nordlicht
nordlicht,

Danke!

This makes sense to me - more than schillinge. 8 sgr would correspond roughly to the US cents break down I show for German and Swiss transit.

Do you note also the red "2 ?" marking in crayon that is with the blue 8? Do you have thoughts on that? And who would apply these markings? I am guessing the red marking in Hamburg.

These are details I enjoy, but I find I am unsure about with US items through Germany.

Best,
Rob

nordlicht

Experte

Saturday, April 14th 2018, 11:45pm

You are welcome.

I noted the red "2" but I am not sure regarding the meaning. Probably Hamburg applied it in order to indicate a double-weight letter.

Regards,
nordlicht

robfaux

Experte

Friday, November 9th 2018, 3:29pm

Hello all!

I will share more of my exhibit pages with you by finding appropriate topics on the forum and posting the page. Eventually, I will have all pages converted and will make a web page with the entire exhibit for viewing.

This time I show an item originating in the US and going via French Mail to Switzerland.

Of particular interest to me at this time is research on the mail routes in Europe that carried US foreign mail. For example, I realize that there were multiple crossings for mail exchange between France and Switzerland, especially if you consider border mail. But, the number of crossings that would carry mail that originated in the United States (or was heading to the United States) was limited.

For France and Switzerland, I am fairly certain that the crossings at St Louis/Basel and Pontarlier. For Bremen/Hamburg mails, it appears most foreign mail from the US enters at Basel, though I am aware that an entry in the northeast is also possible. I would be happy to hear of knowledge and/or opinions regarding these routes during the 1860's.

Best,
Rob
robfaux has attached the following image:
  • FrenchSwitzPage.jpg

Friday, November 9th 2018, 4:15pm

Hello Rob

first of all I would love to see your whole collection in a row somewhere in the forum here. Maybe our 3 admins can help you here (nils, michael + kreuzer).

For Bremen/Hamburg mails, it appears most foreign mail from the US enters at Basel, though I am aware that an entry in the northeast is also possible. I would be happy to hear of knowledge and/or opinions regarding these routes during the 1860's.

Interesting point, but not (always) easy to explain:

Hamburg + Bremen were used for international postage from the prince of Thurn und Taxis. Those letters usually transited Germany via Hanover/Brunswick/Hesse/Bade during the 1860s to Efringen (Bade) or Friedrichshafen (Wurttemberg) via Lake Constance.

As this long transit route was not for free, Thurn und Taxis made contracts with those involved countries that allowed a closed mail transport, so you can´t see any handstamps of any postoffice. Letters were transported only via trains to the Swiss border.

PCM letters via Aachen differ much from that, as they (usually) show handstamps from involved postoffices (but sometimes those were forgotten, or they hat not time enough time for this procedure).
Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

Terret vulgus, nisi metuat. Tacitus

robfaux

Experte

Saturday, August 10th 2019, 8:06pm

It is still the farming season for me, so I am afraid I will make a short post and disappear again for a while. However, I was able to acquire a new item for my collection and exhibit this Spring and I thought I would share my exhibit page. I always welcome comments and corrections because it is important to me to be correct in my descriptions.
Below is an item from the United States to Switzerland that was paid only to the border between the DOPV / GAPU and Switzerland.
As a side note. I was able to show my 24 cent 1861 US postal history exhibit at the APS Stampshow in Omaha, Nebraska a week ago. I was surprised and pleased to receive the Grand award for the multiple frame open competition. This is something I don't think I expected I would ever do.
Best,
Rob
robfaux has attached the following image:
  • PaidtoGAPUsmallfile.jpg

Sunday, August 11th 2019, 7:29am

Hello Rob

Congratulations for your success in exhibiting your collection - I don´t wonder, why you´ve got the Grand award.

Everything is perfect with your description - may be you should have added that the receiver lived in Staufen near Lenzburg, so there was a rural postman involved as well, what makes the letter even better. A very fine piece with the Prussian handstamp in blue "Franco Preuss: resp Vereinl: Ausg:Gr" which is quite rare to find (van der Linden No. 1505, value in blue about 400 - 600 $).

Hope to see more new pages from your collection when it´s winter again. ;)
Liebe Grüsse vom Ralph

Terret vulgus, nisi metuat. Tacitus